Problem:solution.
Right before my black belt test, Trey did this beautiful takedown where my arm was locked behind my back in a chicken-wing, and I mashed my shoulder tendons over the joint (just like the throw is designed to do, not-ironically). So ever since then it clicks when I roll it a certain way, sometimes painfully.
~cool.....Shihan Linebarger's wife tried popping my neck back into place to line up my shoulder joint, which works for a while, but is only somewhat doable by myself, not to mention dangerous.
~warm......shoulder-specific exercises like shootfighter pushups or cherry-pickers also work for a while, but sometimes just make it worse
~warmer.....stretching with yoga like behind-back-prayer hands or eagle pose also helps for a while, but then it can tighten back up again
*disco! Old 'Shaolin chi kung' exercises in a book Wyatt bought me. They may or may not actually be chi kung, but basically just holding my arms out in positions that hit every deltoid while doing 10-50 deep breaths and flexing in the appropriate rhythm does it. The way it seems to me, it's like yoga wherein you're stretching and taking deep breaths, thus getting oxygenated blood to the point under strain, but instead of going for relaxing and lengthening, it's like you're massaging the muscles from the inside (because they're being flexed instead of stretched). Next test: does it work for hips?

No comments: