Bracketing off most issues dealing with religion (unless anyone wants to discuss that in some other medium than this blog; I'd be perfectly happy to talk), I thought The Passion of the Christ was very interesting, even if only as a period piece. I think it would be wonderful to see more historical movies in the actual (or some approximation) languages that were spoken at the time. In that vein, I would also love to see movies about Mohammed, Zoroastros, Baha'u'llah, and say, some updated Robin Hood in Middle English (right langue? not sure) or something about the olden dynasties stretching back to Charlemagne. I mean, the upcoming (in the US anyway) Hero with Jet Li is in what is the Mandarin equivalent of Middle English; we just need more!
      As an aside, I thought the several demons at the beginning of the movie were very interesting, though I think I missed the biblical connection to that. In any case, I heard them say "shedim" in the Aramaic when there was a demon perfectly appropriate to the myth of that kind, and I thought it was quite interesting how they made Satan androgynous (as that fit the whole angelic side of that as well, in my opinion).

No comments: