Grosse Pointe Blank - with John Cusack and Minnie Driver. As this is one of my favorite movies, not much to say about it, in the interests of avoiding expounding. Sharply funny and sweet at the same time, and with some deeper issues of nostalgia touched on. And one of my all-time favorite fight scenes between Cusack and (the entirely random) Benny Urquidez, a real-life kickboxer/karate champion.

Blade Trinity - with Wesley Snipes, Ryan Reynolds, and Jessica Biel. Like Wyatt said, we didn't see it for the plot, but it was art. It had the trademark Blade style, and the usual healthy mix of martial arts (among others, Biel using wing chun, and Reynolds with some smooth jujitsu). I just wish it had been longer; the characters and villians and plot could have been fleshed out to great effect, in my opinion. Still, it was funny, and great action.

Musa the Warrior - with Woo-sung Jung and Ziyi Zhang. Not sure what to make of this movie; it was interesting, though. Part period piece, part sort-of-realistic war movie, part martial arts movie. I'm intrigued enough to go look up some Korean history now, based on the supposedly historical conflict the story takes place within. There were some subtexts I wished I'd known more about so I didn't have to spend half the movie figuring them out, however, like the relationship between the noble Korean soldiers and the peasant (?) soldiers. And who the hell was Musa? There was no one named Musa in this movie.

No comments: