From zero to infinity is infinite; but there are infinite divisions (decimal/fraction) between zero and one, so that's also infinite. So there are infinite infinities contained within infinity. Which sounds horribly inane when I say it like that, but in class it was profound, for a moment at least (we were getting into a discussion of the possible existence of a soul, and whether an afterlife is logically possible). Either way the idea of infinite is interesting to me because it has been an important part of what I believe spiritually for a long while now, and apparently it is an integral part of some philisophical ideas. Not in the same way, of course, but I'm down now for some healthy disagreement.

      The other recently new development at the Ko Sho dojos has been our communication with the Rincoln cage-fighting group (re: trained by UFC people, generally for the more local Rage in the Cage I believe). So far the relationship has seemed to be working out ok, in my opinion. Some of them come to us for experience training with different people, and to refine certain things like their throwing techniques. Trouble with that second part is that they don't seem to really want to actually listen for the most part, and then are confused when some of their stuff doesn't work. On our side of things we've gotten the same different-training-partners benefit, and some techniques from other martial arts (for example, augmented kneeling pins - my face hurts, like ow - or practice with the (half)guard). We get some odd mixes of people, though - kenpo/Brazilian jiujitsu versus aikido and wrestling versus Japanese jujitsu. And that's already added to our internal mixes like taekwondo versus karate and kung fu (wing chun and tai chi) versus kickboxing. We are diverse, let me tell you.

20Q - at first I thought it was a gimmick, but then it quickly guessed pangolin - I mean, whoa.

-the periodic can't-generalize-for-a-billion-people plug

No comments: