After reading Young's Postcolonialism, I've been doing a lot of random thinking. Which, all things considered, is the usual way of things for me, but anyway here's a (small for the moment) list of texts off the top of my head that I think have postcolonial aspects that mix with science fiction. Dune, of course, I am doing my thesis on; there is a somewhat obvious analog of empire and indiginous response, though I am focusing more closely on the language and translation issues involved in that. Evolution's Shore is based entirely around a setting wherein the Chaga (for those who've read it) becomes the ultimate postcolonial tool and expression, which is especially interesting when considered in light of the role of the UN/politics and AIDS in the plot and story. Star Trek: Voyager could have been an interesting play of stranger-in-a-strange land or a reverse-orientalism, but the Feds were still pretty much superior everywhere they went. Deep Space Nine is interesting in its frontier-ish setting, not to mention the Dominion-Federation conflict and the newly ex-colonial Bajorans. Farscape did what Voyager couldn't, as it was initially based almost entirely around an inverted orientalism of the main human character; also, the backstory of the Peacekeepers holds some resonance.

No comments: