Driving past an old-folks home where a family friend is staying sparked a discussion the other day. Basically, the family friend has some pretty bad delirium; she has almost no short term memory, and her long term memory is pretty shot to hell. I suggested that perhaps she has the advantage of constantly living in the moment, and so is in a kind of zen state. The response, in contrast, was that perhaps she is in an opposite state - not living in any moment at all. I'm not sure I've wrapped my head around the implications of that, but it seems interesting in a sad way.

Tian di ying xiong (Warriors of Heaven and Earth), with...I'm not sure actors to list, because none of us recognized any of the names as more prominent than the others. I think I ended up disappointed with this movie because I went into it expecting it to be a kind of period piece showing some of the relations between the Turks and Chinese on the Silk Road. Or at least a pretty good kung fu movie. Unfortunately, the Turks were extras who were at best culturally labeled by turbans, veils, and ululating during fight scenes (and what was with the "Mongols" who looked like Roman Praetorians with masks? and the completely out of nowhere fantasy element?), and the fight scenes were less than exciting. Nonetheless, some of the characters were somewhat memorable, and the landscapes were quite attractive, so it has that going for it.

-just because of all that Mario Party we've been playing

-I'm not sure by what authority this goes by, but it would be interesting to compare it to a similar study on English word use

-I know this article is about Mars, but Venus has no magnetic field? Huh?

Apparently my blog comes up on Google with the description, "Book and movie reviews, linguistics, philosophy, and musings on random events." I wonder who writes those descriptions, because I sure as hell didn't...

No comments: