From the the Scientific American at the mechanic's place, some interesting thoughts. What kind of explosion was the Big Bang? An explosion of space itself. That means that there was no center to the 'explosion,' and that space itself was/is expanding. The natural question: are we/galaxies/any kind of matter expanding as well? No, apparently coherent objects are not subject to the same effect, and galaxy clusters maintain cohesion by their relative gravitational attraction within, from galaxy to galaxy, and same for any smaller celestial system. Now, my question (not really understanding much of this except by clever metaphor and simile) is what would happen were we to figure out a way to set off a similar 'explosion' of space itself on Earth? Craziness, I bet. Craziness.

Scent of a Woman, with Al Pacino and Chris O'Donnell. Nice movie. The chief reason for seeing I think would be Pacino's wonderful portrayal of his character, though O'Donnell did an able job as well. Nothing remarkable to note, I think, just generally solid all around.

By Heart - I'm with Mr Nunberg, methinks

"Thou who abruptly is a knife
dids't come into my heart..."
(pretty sure that's by Baudelaire)

"At the end of the [noh] performance, Ieyasu asked his companion whether he'd seen any gaps in the actors' concentration. Musenori noted that when one of the actors turned near a pillar, his awareness slipped. 'That's when I would have attacked him,' Musenori said."

-I'd feel bad for Warhol, but I never really liked his art anyway (via Kevin)

and, in the words of the horrible theme song to The OC, "California, HERE I COOOOMMMMEEEE" (for a few days)
*cough*

No comments: