On the way to putting Wyatt's balsa wood and tissue paper Spitfire in imminent peril from the top of a stadium staircase, we saw a rabbit reshaping its body in what seemed a horribly unnatural posture to me; then I realized it was stretching. Then it got me thinking, as much as we see other mammals like dogs and cats and....lemurs and the like getting their stretch in ways that we can't help but be sympathetically satisfied by, people don't often actually stretch that much. So: a roundabout yoga plug! Or at least just general stretching; if a rabbit can do it just based on instincts, then people should too!
      In other Southwest wildlife news, I found out at the Natural History Smithsonian that those little black beetles that are like stink beetles but not are called 'darkling beetles.' While I'm a bit abashed at having to go across the continent to find that out, how cool is that?
      In other news, I have an intense desire (one might even say a goal) to create an aquarium for waterbugs. Like, the kind one finds in pools in Sabino Canyon and the like. If the Desert Museum and the Smithsonian can do it, I can, damn it. I love those little guys.

"Do not all charms fly
At the mere touch of cold philosophy?
There was an awful rainbow once in heaven:
We know her woof, her texture; she is given
In the dull catalogue of common things."
Keats, Lamia

No comments: