I didn't particularly enjoy the 'Native Americans in Film and Literature' class I got stuck taking a while back (aside from seeing Dead Man and doing a term paper on White Comanche), but one aspect of it lingers on. That is, the entire class was devoted towards breaking the unconscious urge to accept any image of Amerindians presented to us, which led to a tendency in the class to say, well duh, look how obviously bad those stereotypes are. But after a semester of it, any just-plain-bad image became glaringly obvious, like a mini-paradigm had been shifted, to be cliche. In any case, the point I've been getting to is that I think more classes or efforts in a similar theme would do well to exist; that is, anything that breaks those unconscious assumptions, which I'm sure are innumerable.

Loups-garou is my favorite term for werewolf. In other news, the antidote for previously mentioned.

Filed under aweso: Scott's Sunfire

Word of the Day (as featured) - eschaton: end of the world, end of time, climax of history

Limey's on being clever
also:
"An account of the way an exasperated Cockney tried to spell out the name of the town of Ealing for the benefit of the telephone operator runs as follows: 'E for 'eaven, A for wot 'orses eat, L for where you're going, I for me, N for wot lays eggs, and G for gawd's sake keep your ears open!"

No comments: