When I read this: "Every English word is at least in part an ideogram, with the pronunciation offering some clue, but never a complete key, to spelling," one of the first things I thought was spelling bee. That is, I bet that's why spelling bees work so well in English - with rules and roots and quirks from Latin, Greek, Old English, French, German, Spanish, etc etc, it almost makes sense to mess with nervous kids and force them to try to put illogical things together. It wouldn't do to have a spelling bee in a language that is more logically phonetic; it just wouldn't be any fun. Though I can't say I can quite see English words as ideograms, really, even if I kind of like the idea. I suppose one could try to pull something like Arabic calligraphy and stylize some cursive.

Tom Yum Goong x, y - ::glee::

the Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards - congrats to two of my favorites, Scary Go Round and Questionable Content for their awards

"...Philologists, who chase
A panting syllable through time and space,
Start it at home, and hunt it in the dark,
To Gaul, to Greece, and into Noah's Ark."
-Cowper, Retirement

No comments: