Interesting perspective shift (original idea not mine)! In teaching/learning anything, sometimes the method takes priority over any end result, or goal, or what have you. To do a hip throw, you place your feet just so, twist hips across, place arms in any number of variations, or, to do close reading of a text you parse out what's important, maybe bracket off part of the text, maybe go sentence by sentence, etc. Instead, maybe it might be better to shift the end result/goal to the primary position of importance-of-attention - the goal of a hip throw is to bounce the opponent on the floor right in front of you, for example, which leads to questions: fine, how do I go about doing that, and how does it involve my hip? Or, in the the other case the end result might need to be determined to even get started - what do I get out of close reading, or what can I give to other people using it? (cf'ing "The problem is never apart from the answer. The problem is the answer - understanding the problem dissolves the problem")

N8 Van Dyke - art; I like the way some of the titles tie into the pieces

art by alexiuss - and backstory for each!

phrases of the day:
"I had a lot of time to think. I gained some perspective. Some... M.C. Escher perspective."
-
"Bla, bla, poly-syllabic bla."
-
(looking at heart monitor printout)
"Looks kind of like art...I call it, 'Takes more than that to kill me, punk.'"

      In case it's ever shown again for whatever reason, on the National Geographic channel there was a small marathon of the show Taboo for some reason. In lieu of doing the project we were supposed right away, my dad and I sat through some very interesting programs on gender-bending (transgender, inverted stereotypes, and religious festivals), rites of adulthood (alligator-style scarification, whipping and running on the backs of bulls), tattoos (tattoos that possess people, Russian prison art, facial womanhood tattoos) and there were more after that, I gather. I'm not really sure how to describe them, except to say that they were well put together and interesting, though maybe not for the faint of heart/those that can't stand lots of blood.
      Another program on Discovery/Times was about Special Forces operations in Afganistan. Once again, not sure how to describe it except by this (from an entirely different source, which I scoffed at as idealistic, then remembered the soldiers): "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show that it can be."

No comments: