The Great Raid, with Benjamin Bratt, James Franco, Joseph Fiennes and Connie Nielsen. For some reason, I just couldn't get really into this movie till right near the climax; my best guess is that it was a combination of the pacing and the lack of depth in the characters (not that they didn't have depth, per se, but that it was so spread out amongst the large number of characters). That being said, it was a solidly good movie that certainly had my attention. I think it was almost like a documentary in some strange sense, and that might have been part of my enthusiasm issue - I was expecting more drama and almost missed the low-key quality acting; either way, the actaul footage at the end of the film in conjunction with the story is a wonderful effect.
      I think Franco did a fine job, and it was nice to see Nielsen, Bratt and Fiennes in the same movie, even if not in conjunction. I will note that as much as I was happy about the portrayal of Filipinos, I thought it was kind of curious that there were no subtitles for the bits of Tagalog spoken in the movie (unless I just missed them somehow, and someone correct me then). If I were unnecessarily close reading that, it would seem to say something about the relative positions of the various cultures in the movie by proxy of their languages, but I think it was just an editing choice.

Christopher Walken for President 2008 - he's totally got my vote; I mean, just imagine him giving speeches...or at the debates. Think about it.

odd, mild insult of the day: "You eightball."

No comments: