March of the Penguins, narrated by Morgan Freeman. I think it's great that a documentary like this is doing is well as it is; I just wish it was a bit more like a real life adventure with Steve Zissou. Alas. One can see penguins slapfighting each other anyway. From a totally different angle, about halfway through the movie I started thinking that penguins might be interesting in that they live in, and are dependent upon, an environment which is a boundary between two distinct environments. They aren't wholly water or land creature, and as such (or so I thought in the theatre) might be conflated with a similar social archetype, with social groups or culture representing environments (say, someone raised in Mexico and the USA equally). The question then becomes, what can be learned from that conflation?
      The other thought I had was a bit more focused on the biological aspect of the movie - what would the penguin be like/what would be required were it to adapt over time to be a wholly aquatic animal? I mean, one line in the movie said they spend their first four to five years at sea (the stretched assumption I'm making being that by 'at sea' they meant purely in the water, but in that false assumption was the seed of my thought, so neeners).

the American Sheik - just plain odd in one sense, but certainly interesting if effective as a cultural bridge, like the long term SpecOps units in Afghanistan

Trebuchet Challenge - kind of Tron crossed with medieval artillery

Zork? - nahhh...couldn't be...maybe?

No comments: