Say Anything..., with John Cusack and John Mahoney. I had wanted to see this because it was listed in something I'd read as one of the most romantic movies of all time, and while I'm not sure I'd quite agree with that description, it did have wonderful writing and acting, and an understated but engaging story. It' always nice to see Cusack siblings acting together, and trivia-wise - like Grosse Pointe Blank - there is a semi-random fight scene with a cameo by a famous kickboxer, this time Don Wilson. One thing that did keep me from overly enjoying this movie was that I just couldn't find the lead actress attractive at all.

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, with voices of Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Though the animation is gorgeous, and the action and adventure was top notch and original in my opinion (a spectacular martial arts sequence in a cartoon?), there were a couple things that held this movie back from doing really well when it came out. One, Pitt's voice - while perfect for his style of acting - doesn't lend itself well to animation. Two, I think in a similar way to the sexuality in The Road to El Dorado the seriousness of the culminating theme of the movie (self-sacrifice) was a bit too much for a really young audience.

The Crow: City of Angels, with Vincent Perez and Mia Kirshner. Well, it's not a very good movie, in truth. But: it does have great music, and almost slides by on sheer style and darkness.

No comments: