For a swordwork seminar about integrating breathing into hip movement and footwork, I sure learned a lot about using my wrists. My issue stemmed from the fact that the person teaching the seminar, a quite senior Japanese gentleman who had apparently been taught by Gichin Funakoshi, was wearing a hakama (or, as it's been not-so-affectionately called, a jicama). So, while I really do realize why hiding one's feet with a hakama would be effective in a fight, now, standing directly behind someone trying to teach you how to move your hips and feet and not being able to see their hips and feet just isn't cool.
      Tangentially, as much as my face is still a bit sore three days after an Army MP facelock and an technique involving a knee and my eye socket, I feel like submission attempts by pain alone just don't cut it. I mean, I certainly wasn't going to tap out from the pain of either of those examples once I spent a second or two collecting myself; ironically, I did tap out to the facelock only because I was caught in a pin I couldn't escape. The same goes for pressure points; if one is going to go for a submission in my mind, there either has to be a complete pin, or some actual danger to the self, as with joint locks or chokes. That being said, a submission by pain will work if applied with such sharp intensity that the opponent has no time to override a reflex to tap, but that's still dependent upon how mentally conditioned they are.

Bones - new show with David Boreanaz, of Angel fame (who also happens to be on the cover of Men's Health), because he is aweso

design cycles - I like the BMW

No comments: