Doom, with Karl Urban and the Rock. My dad thought were going to see another version of Dune until the title appeared in the opening credits, so that was kind of funny. For much of the movie, I was wondering where it was going; and then I was kind of disappointed, because I wanted to see flying skulls and flaming phlegm balls and bull-headed cyber demons and the whole nine yards. But: after a bit of thought, I'm quite satisfied with what they chose to do. There isn't really any fantasy in this version of Doom, which is ok, because they (relatively) cleanly pulled together a very neat science fiction plot instead. Also, the Rock played a quite different role from his usual, and I'm starting to really like Urban as an action star.
(now, spoilers, but I found this curious)
      An integral part of the plot of this version of Doom's story is the reference to the unknown purpose of a portion of human DNA. In the movie they refer to it (nonscientifically) as a possible 'blueprint for the soul,' and imply that it might code for predisposition to be good or evil. Now, I am currently reading Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear, wherein he uses that same 'junk DNA' as a plot device, except the topic of that story is instead leaps in evolution inspired by integrated retroviruses within that portion of the DNA. I'm not sure where I was going with this except to note that oblique parallel, and wonder whether that same thing may come up in more science fiction stories in the future.

No comments: