Kôhî jikô (Café Lumière), with Yo Hitoto and Tadanobu Asano. I randomly picked this up because I liked the title, and was pleasantly surprised. I should note, however, that this probably isn't a film that should be watched if you're tired (I was exhausted at the time). It's...well, super-relaxing,, like a lullaby, or maybe meditative would be a better word. The movie as a whole is almost silent, and very still in terms of motion - the camera barely moves for each scene, giving you ample time to practically study what's in the frame, and sometimes you have to, as the main character might just be another face in the background crowd. The dialogue is very spare, and very every-day in nature; I think where I'm going with all this is that I'd like to find articles or something about this movie, as I feel like I caught everything that was said and not said, and yet at the same time wouldn't be surprised if I'd missed out on a huge amount of content.

Underworld: Evolution, with Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman. And Beckinsale's butt. Mmmhmm. Anyhoo, I thought this was quite an improvement over the original, which had disappointed me (on account of having little action for a vampire-vs-werewolf story, ripping off White Wolf's World of Darkness, and not going far past the shallow). This sequel, in contrast, hugely upgraded the action and amount of it, and took the backstory in a direction that was no longer so ripped off (if kind of unexplained). I suppose I'd say the improvements in story and character are dependent upon having the introduction that the first movie was...come to think of it, I suppose that's how I'd think of the original, as an introduction. Evolution doesn't exactly conclude a lot, but it did at least expand the setting and story further, which was fun; I suppose I've been spoiled by preferring the expansiveness of the World of Darkness shared setting, so in remembering that, I thought Evolution performed nicely in what it did.

Random Quote of the Day - kind of a generalization, but I think it kind of captures the spirit of the thing:
"The medieval university looked backwards; it professed to be a storehouse of old knowledge. The modern university looks forward, and is a factory of new knowledge."

No comments: