Lots of blood and pain. Yup. But, getting my tattoo re-done and expanded was fun, all in all. I really like this relatively new place - if you're in Tucson, Arizona, check out Metro Tattoo, they've got some great artists, who are nice and personable to boot (and/or bloody crazy), and a lovely piercer who seems quite knowledgeable. Personally, I was even attracted to the decor of the place - instead of tacky flash everywhere and glaring lights, the walls are in various shades of red, with prints of dark angels and fae tastefully spread about, plants, and leather couches. It's like a comfy, stylish lounge.

So...the inking itself. A lot of similes come to mind, involving feelings of scalpels or needles, but I think the most painful aspect is actually the vibration, of all things. That, and when it gets near or over bone (the vibrations transmit down your skeleton a ways) and the fun pain-tingles near the spine. All that said, it's certainly an ordeal, but not an unmanageable one; I recognize that what I have is relatively large, but moreover it's the amount of outlining and color put into it, so it's not quite a sleeve but it was certainly a bit more time and work than the average tattoo.

I think I shifted all the way through whatever repertoire I have of meditation/pain management stuff over the course of the given hours, but two points stuck as working well - the not very meditative, 'pfft, this ain't nothing next to emotion-pain/heartbreak,' and the more effective, 'pain is only assigned a bad connotation by reflex, it's just another sensation and isn't intrinsically good or bad, but just is.' I think I did okay, got a compliment or two on stillness, and the people in the shop thought I was bored or falling asleep at a few points.

Actually, it was quite relaxing, in truth. Lots of endorphins probably helped, though the adrenal rush left me starving. I had a flash of thought at one point, that maybe in some ways people who cut themselves unconsciously use the pain to approach a meditative state, which in a sense is healthy but the route to it isn't quite. I'm not sure how to explain that thought further but am glad of the insight, or better understanding or what, if there's any verity to it.

Also, I had already thought Alice Cooper was a pretty rocking guy (business and music-wise), but his radio show (which was playing in the shop) is awesome - great songs, witty commentary, even his voice is pleasantly resonant. I'm glad I finally got to hear it after reading good ol' Metallica Bryan's review of it who knows how long ago.

No comments: