Must Love Dogs, with John Cusack and Diane Lane. I think this movie didn't do amazingly well in the theatres for a few reasons - it's centered on relatively older people than the norm for romantic comedies, with correspondingly different priorities and a different kind of romance, it's a little slow and meandering, and it's for the most part down to earth. As such, however, I really enjoyed it. As per the usual for a movie with Cusack in it, I thought the dialogue was witty and the humor quirky, and all with a general understated class.

On a personal level, the story was quite cathartic for me, as I identified with three of the main characters in a way that felt uncanny - like, I wouldn't have been surprised if the credits had ended with, "Frank, this is your life." In the same token, I'm sure most people coming off heartbreak after a long relationship would feel the same, but I think that speaks to the relevance and quality of the characterization and story than anything else. On a more facetious personal level, that so much of the movie had to do with rowing felt horribly, darkly ironic, but I suppose that's funny in a way.

No comments: