Time of the Twins, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. First, thanks to Bryce in receiving for randomly giving me this out of nowhere - can't beat a random well-intentioned gift. Unfortunately, the novel didn't turn out so well. The first in a trilogy following the original Dragonlance epic, I think I'd call this Dragonlance-lite. There are less characters, less complexity of plot, even just less happening at all. I almost felt like I wanted the whole thing to be a novella instead of the length it was, especially for the way the potential of plumbing the depths of the relationship between the twins in question was shied away from.

And, they kept the damn kender in there; I remember in the original trilogy he was mildly annoying, but served his purpose and even developed a solid amount of depth near the end. And I suppose the concept of the kender in their fearlessness and other odd qualities was interesting way back when, when I was so absorbed in that original story. But this time around, with so much of the novel from his point of view and reliant upon him...oh, I could barely stand it. On this reason: one of the qualities previously referred to is that these little buggers have no concept of personal property, which is fine, makes for amusing situations and innocent looks ha ha and all that.

But, in that they also have no concept of the word consequence, and no idea that their actions might affect or hurt other people, and on top of all that can rationalize like motherfuckers. And half the novel was from this thing's point of view...yeah, I suppose me having trouble with what should, I suppose, otherwise be amusing might seem odd to most people, but I think others will understand.

No comments: