Since I'm a martial arts nerd, I thought I'd just echo here some things one of our head instructors was using as examples in teaching. If you want to see fighting that resembles Ko Sho's Okinawan karate in the movies, check out most Wesley Snipes movies, and to a very secondary extent Van Damme - that is, in the sense that they set->go! and in the lack of flow in their movements; it's pummeling that relies on a hard hit having a noticeable or stun-effect. Hence, the general admiration of the Blade movies in the dojo. For the other, secondary component of that same Okinawan karate, the unique taizu exercises for speed that are based on Chinese teaching, Jet Li movies set in modern times are a good example, with his emphasis on sheer amount of hits over power and continuous flow.

Now, if someone could find me some jujitsu and Filipino arts examples besides the lovely, albeit nigh unique, ones in Stargate Atlantis, I'd be a happy happy camper....

No comments: