So, up late last night for no particular reason (actually, nightmares from a nap earlier in the day), caught an episode of The Boondocks. And I have to say, whoever is in charge of animation for that show has a keen appreciation of martial arts. In one fight scene alone, I saw my favorite move lifted straight out of the lovely choreography of Troy, several references to specific moves in Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon (and in the script, there, as well), axe and tornado kicks (one of those things where if you see them in a fight scene you know the choreographer enjoys martial arts on a deeper level), and I think even a slight animation-kudo to a Teen Titans bit. And before that, it was Kill Bill-references combined with more samurai movie references, and even some great Cowboy Bebop-style stuff thrown in there; I just want to shake the hand of whoever put that much effort in. Or, if female, give them a big thank you kiss. Hell, maybe if they're male, too, it was pretty rocking.

Curious George, with Will Ferrell and Drew Barrymore. While I would probably end up calling this 'movie-lite' in the end, I mean that in an entirely complimentary way. I guess I'd say it was like a children's book in film-form, with a pleasant soundtrack and a lovely animation style, and I was certainly smiling nigh the entire time. I thought the parallels to King Kong in terms of the plot were interesting (I begin to wonder whether there's a subgenre for that sort of story...), and the little bits of metafiction and trappings of modern culture as well. That is, Disney movies from back in the day and even movies like The Incredibles, for example, seem to be in a kind of time-less setting pretty consistently, and this one in contrast relied upon Starbucks coffee cups and cell phone cameras; I wonder what that begins to say about how children's lit/theatre is changing and what that says about kids nowadays.

Random quote of the day (Quentin Crisp) - "It is explained that all relationships require a little give and take. This is untrue. Any partnership demands that we give and give and give and at the last, as we flop into our graves exhausted, we are told that we didn't give enough." - I think a few other people besides me might end up reading that and laughing a little darkly, as well

No comments: