Sanskrit and Arabic interest me as languages for similar reasons. Arabic seems almost designed for poetry - and this isn't just me spouting off, I've read that in disparate sources, actually. Part of the reason for that is because connotations of words in Arabic are almost more significant than the denotations, thus lending a given word several layers of meaning by default. Sanskrit, in turn, has been said by some to be a language almost designed, in a sense, for ritual or ceremony. Like Hebrew, each letter or distinct sound has its own significance and meaning, and thus every word is built up of those smaller component meanings, which provides a semantic depth to each word that is unparalleled.

And also, a quick ramble on one reason I prefer bodyweight exercise over weights. After a yoga class which turned out to be a slight bodyweight workout last night, it occurred to me that during and after I had a distinct feeling that what I was doing was something that was good for me - my body liked it. There is a similar feeling when I do bodyweight exercises such as abdominal sets, pushups, or pullups; one's muscles thrive on repetitive flexing and contracting - you're letting them fulfill their very purpose of being. Now, weights have their purpose, certainly - if I were to join the military or I was training for a fight, I would have reason and desire to augment my body beyond its natural state. But as it stands, I'm content to work on quality and density in my tissue over size and quantity, by pushing my self, using my self, rather than purposefully slightly injuring it to build it up over and over and losing out to wear and tear in the long run.

Word of the Day: logodaedalus - someone skilled in the manipulative use of words. That has to be useful somehow, seriously. And it's just a cool word.

No comments: