Weekend! With an almost literal complete lack of sleep for almost every single person I ran into, for the thirty-six hours or so in question! Congratulations for Scott, for second place in the GM class at this year's NOPI! We did re-learn that though it might be chilly and windy, however, that you'll still get burnt after spending literally every daylight hour in the sun. In other news, that was probably the least healthy eating-wise day I've had in a long while - chicken fingers, a huge BBQ tri-tip sammich, a ginormous hot dog, mall food court Chinese food, and a beer. Awesome. Also, got some ideas from a rocking French-Canadian Jewish former pro-snowboarder that was parked next to us for modifying my Eclipse in an affordable manner, so news on that might be forthcoming (pending me figuring out how much money I have left after the thousands of dollars I've been spending and am going to be spending for a the next few months).

V for Vendetta, with Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving. I enjoyed this movie a great deal, as much as I was leary of the political slanting. But the trick is, as much as it seems it could be termed a 'political movie,' at the same time that was just understated enough that it could quite well be read as a near-future 1984 take that just happened to use appropriate present day references. I loved the dialogue and its poeticism, and finally warmed up to the idea of the mask, and also greatly enjoyed the overarching coincidence theme. The fight scenes were solid enough that I'd like to scan through them again, as well. So, I thought Ultraviolet looked cool in the trailer and was disappointed, and thought this looked dippy in the trailer and was pleasantly surprised - go figure.

When Harry Met Sally, with Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal. Aiiyaa. I also enjoyed this movie, however much teasing of me it engendered. Yay parallels between movies and real life turning out badly in the latter (two different parallels, even). Except not yay. But it made for the funny. Anyway, it's a solidly good film, a classic, if you will, in dialogue, plot and character development, each in their turn. It's...cute, and intelligent, a nice combination.

A thought provoking article on one of my favorite subjects, the relation of language to perceived reality (I really wanted to fit a pun in there, but it was either way too easy or too hard)

No comments: