Conquest of Armageddon, by Jonathan Green. Though there were a few moments that were nice in a cinematic kind of sense, that doesn't go anywhere near far enough to alleviate the not-so-good qualities of this novel. The structure of the narrative for most of it is just plain confusing, for one - for example, I (now) understand that Green was using a combination of flashbacks and dream-sequences for the first third or so, but there is no reason not to delineate those things (as opposed to just blending them all together in a confusing manner). Beyond that, the writing style was excessively wordy to an extreme degree (much to my chagrin to complain about that, as I know I have to keep from doing the same in my writing), which actually wouldn't have been an issue so much were it not for the repetition involved, as well.

I have to say, the 40k shared setting was used nicely, and the novel certainly fits its atmosphere - but if I could I'd write a general letter to authors using that setting to not use the Space Marines; it just seems needlessly difficult to actually make anything but a cardboard-cutout character out of a religious, scripture-spouting zealot. Which the Marines did a lot of in this book. Just not very much character development.

"The unconscious knows no negatives, I was taught when studying Freud. If someone tells me they don't mean to offend me, I know they probably do." - interesting statement - I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the first bit of it means (I mean, the latter part explains it, but it seems there's more to it, maybe)

No comments: