Days Gone Bye, The Walking Dead Vol. 1, by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore. Solid stuff. I'm definitely going to get the next TPB in the series - I mean, the first thing the author does is go on about how it's going to be a character-driven story. Oh hell yes. It's kind of in between Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later in setting, and follows their general archetype (even down to the trope of it not really being the zombies that are the scariest thing, but regular humans, when it comes down to it). Black and white, but nicely clearly drawn art, though I think this first volume was really for setting up the characters - I'm quite curious to see how they change after that ending.

Stormwatch: Team Achilles, Vol. 1, by Micah Wright and Whilce Portacio. Intelligent social commentary (in regards to the standard superhero archetype), action-packed, and full of hilarious dry-wit, it's a winning combination. Unfortunately, the research shows that's as far as Team Achilles got before it became too satirical for its own good, so I think I'll stick with just this first volume. Still, having regular humans just using their wits and real-life tactics and equipment subvert the violence-glorifying superheroes-without-consequences is fun for at least this much - my favorite line, after a soldier breaks a superhero's arm:
"You're...using...super...powers..."
"Nope. Just jujitsu."

In other news, I think I have a teensy bit of a mancrush on film critic Phil Villareal from the Arizona Daily Star. His part on the Frank Show on Fridays is awesome. Sorry uber-nasal film critic from KXCI on Thursday afternoons - you're sardonic and interesting, but Villareal's witty.

Stealth Chess, kind of like Pratchett's novels, in which this finds its origin, I'm not sure if it's dippy or awesome

Random Quote of the Day:
"I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman." - Anais Nin

No comments: