Huo Yuan Jia (Fearless), with Jet Li, Collin Chou and Shido Nakamura. As Mr Scott pointed out, it's a complete movie; but I'd say it was kind of a shallow one, nonetheless. Which is fine - it's a martial arts movie (and, since it's with Li, one with hell-good fight scenes)! I think the discordance was that the cinematography was such that I was expecting a more artsy movie, but it was more like a regular martial arts movie with higher production values. I greatly enjoyed seeing the different national styles pitted against each other (I wish they'd do that more, haven't seen much of that since Bloodsport, really) and also especially how they adjusted the editing and cuts in the fight scenes to reflect the main character's state of mind, that was well done and clever.
-and wow, I just thought it was a conceit of the movie: Leitai
-and damn! Why would they cut out scenes with Michelle Yeoh and a Thai fighter?

Midnight Nation, by J. Michael Straczynski and Gary Frank. Hmm...well, it's damn good comic, for true. But it wasn't quite a page-turner like the other comics I've bought lately (Stormwatch: Team Achilles and Clockwork Thugs, Yo, say). I think that was because as much as it was a story about a character developing, there really wasn't that much actual character development that I could see. At the least, it was an interesting take on the archetypical Lucifer-story that I enjoy so much.

Well, I got about half of them right - do they all look the same? (from Ms Xuemei)

It begins. Dun-dun-dunnnnn! (from my dad)

No comments: