triviaball

"I've met tale-spinners before, Jake, and they're all more or less cut from the same cloth. They tell tales because they're afraid of life." - from The Dark Tower, by Stephen King, which makes it kind of especially poignant considering what that epic does with the idea of a 'writer' - it does have some ring of truth in my mind, though

Aikido in Prison - great article

-the Khazars seemed an interesting people; both as a political power in their time, and as one of those groups that were randomly Judaic, unexpectedly

Frank's most despised term for the day: "amateur night" - basically, New Year's Eve, as described by people who think they're good at driving while drunk

2 comments:

Connie said...

Brief thought to go with your DT post. I generally think it's egotistical and self serving when authors write themselves into a book. Now, I don't mind if Clive Cussler wants to appear on a page as a side bar, but if the author is made into a character, I hate it. That said, I think that in doing what he did in the DT series, King broke that rule. I didn't want to like it. However, his use of immersing his past-self into the world of the book, helped to progress the theme.

Jinn said...

I agree, normally metafiction of any kind gets on my nerves, but King has certainly seemed to be in such a zone in using what he does that it just leaves me elated at the skill of it; for example, I just got to the part where he's incorporating the real-life incident of the van running into him, and I'm anxiously waiting for my lunch break to finish it...