Lisa's screaming hurts my ears

Ruthless People, with Bill Pullman, Danny Devito, and Helen Slater. I enjoyed it, though not as much as the other older movies we've watched lately. I think part of it may be that this one just didn't seem as smart/clever in its humor, and was also dated in ways the others weren't (helloooo, eighties soundtrack). Though that makes me think of a Sonny Chiba movie set in China and Japan that's entire soundtrack was crazyfunky seventies acid jazz. But it wasn't as if the movie was bad, just not as good as the others. And Bill Pullman should have had more screentime, because he's awesome, though it took people giving me references to remember who he was.

Also, Kevin's comment from earlier got me thinking about how much our ingrained, habitual perception can affect us. I mean, for those people encountering the Spaniards for the first time, horses and people riding an animal were so far beyond their ken that they couldn't even see it as someone riding an animal that would somewhat similar to other four-legged animals in their native environment, just bigger. It makes me wonder what we might encounter that would seem so far beyond the pale that we wouldn't recognize it for what it actually is, but would have to give it some mythic value (UFOs, maybe?). Also, interestingly, one of the myriad aims of meditation is to release habits of perception, to not reflexively assign meaning to one's vision, but rather to see things as they are, for what they are, so I wonder how a well-trained person might fare in a similar situation.

because the brussel sprouts quote was just odd, to the general reader...
"The first dietary intervention was when God said, 'Don't eat that apple.' And that clearly didn't work."

oh, that's reassuring, as I mail off my check...
"The term mortgage (from Law French, lit. death vow)..."

No comments: