integrating life, dreaming life

The Heart of Yoga, by T. K. V. Desikachar. I suppose it's another book that would only be of interest to someone interested in yoga, but hey, I'm basically reading textbooks for class, so there it is. Anyway, this text provides a pretty comprehensive, and yet very easy to read rundown of a general view of yoga by acting as an oblique commentary on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. That is, it explains what most people would generally think of as hatha yoga, and not any of the more modern (Kripalu, Iyengar, etc) variants, and moreover emphasizes that the poses and physical component that most people think of as "yoga" is only a small portion of the whole. So, in the end, I'd recommend this to anyone who's taken an interest in yoga, and wants to further their interest beyond just the baseline physical aspect of it.

Last night, I was playing Second Life, or rather, basically wasting my little time at home. But I don't think it's entirely wasting; sure, I haven't even gotten off Help Island yet, not being done exploring it and snagging free stuff. But I was having fun 'people' watching, just seeing what people can create when they can create anything they'd like. Then environment seems designed to be pleasant, and relaxing, and that's really the word I'm looking for - I was relaxing. It's like an enormous, shared lucid dream, that has rules that keep it pleasant. Of course, I also realized that in attempting making my female avatar prettier (as one can change even the minutae of facial features, such as the cleft beneath the nose), I was unconsciously making it look more like my girlfriend, but I guess that's a compliment on her. Now, if only we could get an internet provider that actually was worth the money....

Seriously, how fun would pillow fight flash mobbing be?

No comments: