li"l bit reviews

New Avengers 27 - the underground side of the Avengers, post-Civil War, it has an unexpected, rough style of art, sassy dialogue, the biggest all-out-all-ninja brawl ever, and Elektra getting kicked in the...wow
Wisdom 2 - nonsensical in a Mulholland Drive dream-sense, times British English = an interesting, semi-coherent ending, at least
Stormwatch PHD 3,4 - the current incarnation of the everchanging Stormwatch, Post Human Division is chock-full of creepy-disturbing villains, clever action, and character development with unexpected layers; in these two issues we've got some expanding of the setting with a trip to Vegas, and a girls' night out gone violent
New X-Men 35 - ugh, can't stand the cover, but the comic itself is an engaging setup for what looks to be some mad action involving the young'ns, regular X-Men, and the O*N*E.
Cable & Deadpool 36 - I was chortling, and then just plain laughing out loud...imagine a comic chock full of 'Frank-jokes' and this is probably it (mmm so bad, and yet so good...)
X-23: Target X 3 - gorgeous art, and nothing that can't be guessed at, knowing the character, but still a good yarn nonetheless
Astonishing X-Men 20 - Whedon's writing can always be counted for what he's known and loved for, but beyond that I think I'm just personally not that interested in this comic (which isn't to say it isn't top-notch, however)
The Boys 1 - whoa....do not let anyone under the age of 17 near this comic (that said, it's great!)
Drain 1 - lovely style, but I think I'm realizing for the umpteenth time that that kind of manga-art just doesn't do it for me
X-Men Annual 1 - quality art, kinetic and exciting action, this one shot is a great development of setting and tying up of loose ends
Barracuda 1 - "an' the night is but muthafuckin' young".....ah, more violence and humor, lovingly mixed
Civil War 6 - another one that's just a big setup, but beautiful splash pages like whoa
X-Men 195 - again, I use the phrase kinetic action, and on top of that I think this is the most interesting of the X-comics
Star Wars Legacy 1 - the expanded setting is very interesting, but I was sorely disappointed to realize it was going to be another Skywalker-centered tale (I enjoy the Star Wars stories best that don't deal with that central story)
Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born 1 - an amazing comic, and the writing stays true to the novels, but I think I'm kind of suffering from a, "Well that's not how I imagined it," thought, but that seems unavoidable

-this is completely random, but I thought it odd/interesting - he's sneaky
-a whole collection of interesting articles on some old-school MA

No comments: