ugly fashion, yellow junk, coobs

The Devil Wears Prada, with Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. I'm torn between saying this was a really good stand-alone movie, and positing that perhaps it would have actually just been really good had one read the book. I suspect that latter on account of the carefully constructed phrasing in some scenes, which I'd bet was taken directly from the book, and so would have been more appreciated with that context. But anyway, what I found really interesting about this movie (besides reflecting that I thought nigh every 'fashionable' outfit was utterly atrocious) was the connection it made in my head to the novel Evolution's Shore. That is, the main character in the novel is driven by her own ambition rather than by her job/boss context and becomes a monster in her own special way, but generally there's a lot similar between the texts in the development of that main character. Devil is just romantic-lite, Evolution is more dark-mature.
-addendum...hm, well, I was going to add Connie and I's back and forth, but I'll simply extract that I agree about not liking her getting back together with the boyfriend, contrived, and just not right for her. Hell, now, if we look at Gaby from the analagous novel, she had to go through reporting on Chechnya-style wars for years, war-torn Africa, then further effort back in America before painfully re-forging a connection with her man. Not just have a coffee and a scone. Pfft.

The Simpsons Movie. With SpiderPig. SpiderPig. Doing, whatever. A piderpig can. Can, he swing? From, a web? No, he can't. He's, a pig. Look out. Here comes, Spider, Pig. Well, it wasn't as bad as it might have turned out. The beginning was hilarious, but as the prevailing opinion goes (and is correct), it gets kind of bogged down as the movie goes on. Generally pretty funny, though it didn't blow my mind or anything.

Cube, with McKay from Atlantis, and Ezri Dax from Deep Space Nine. Interesting movie - well, the movie itself isn't that amazingly engaging, but I can definitely see it making for good conversation. The concept is so simple, in a sense, and yet generates so many questions - what's outside the giant cube they're trapped in? Why are they trapped? Why them? And none of it quite answered within the text. I found especially interesting the point made on the wiki of the film that the characters undergo complete reversals by the end of the film - hero to villain, useless cripple to most important and then only survivor, poison to hero, etc. I likey.

-Gravity Pods - clever!

-dang thing is freaking me out...I think I saw it and then had an image of waking up in the middle of the night and seeing it staring at me from on top of the sheets

1 comment:

Connie said...

Scones do fix a world of hurt.