each discomfiting in their own special way

Superbad, with Jonah Hill and Michael Cera. Looks like movies written by Seth Rogen are turning out to be consistently pretty good, if following a pretty archetypical pattern, as Kevin pointed out to me last night. I have to say, though, as Kim noted with a poke or two, there were moments where I couldn't bear to look at the screen - humor based on discomfort is still funny to me, but something about it makes me so uncomfortable in turn that I have to look away. Still, overall, it wasn't an utterly hilarious movie throughout, but it was pretty damn funny without being banal or asinine.

Black Sheep, with...random Kiwi people. It's pretty flocked up. And gross in the old-school gore-flick sense. Funny, though, I mean, one can't help but laugh at sheep being violent. I was really happy nothing happened to any dog, I was really worried that they'd have a scene like that, which just would have ruined the movie. But nope! Just sheep sex and violence. Huh, and the special effects were done by the Lord of the Rings people, I thought they seemed surprisingly good.

Jesus Camp, with some horribly charismatic chilluns. Interesting documentary in that, unlike a Michael Moore film, say, there is almost zero pushing of the film-maker's agenda - they let the subject speak for itself. And it's pretty scary; we couldn't stop shaking our heads, muttering sad denials, and sighing. Basically: let's hope those little, fundamentalist, evangelical kids all get on a bus and ride off a cliff. I don't mean that. But the movie was kind of that scary.
--*--
Sweet jebus this movie looks fun

Whoa - I'm reminded of a particular scifi short story I read, wherein a guy has a little fairy (ie, child-ish sized) that's something of a perfect companion for him out in space (creepily, not just emotionally but sexually as well) and is an artificial organism in that particular sense

Huh, I'll look at cacti a whole new way now

No comments: