fun with family narratives

Definitely, Maybe, with Ryan Reynolds, Rachel Weisz, Elizabeth Banks, and Isla Fisher. And Kevin Kline, who I did not recognize in the slightest. I think for the most part this movie lived up to expectations brought about by pedigree (connections to Love, Actually) and the stellar cast. Though kids in movies are still a bit much for me, it worked well enough. Though I'm sure a lot of people would nail the plot as patently obvious, I got sucked in enough that each successive twist had me going, and tearing up at the ending. Yay kind of unorthodox rom-com! And again, great mix of actors. Also, reminds me of somewhat similar conversations I've had with my parents, which weren't exactly like something the daughter gets to hear in the movie, but interesting nonetheless, I recommend it, however uncomfortable it might get.

The Namesake, with Irfan Khan, Tabu, and Kal Penn. Great acting. Lovely cinematography and writing. Interesting cultural commentary. But...it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Which is fine, in a novel, or perhaps if I were expecting it in a movie. My only real reference is the novel White Teeth, if that might make sense to one person out there, but it's not even really the same as that. The narrative is spaced out over such a time period...there are lots of touching and interesting and complex plot points, and it really is horribly interesting in a lot of ways...but, just too much and too little in certain, key ways.

For most of Western civilization low sexual desire has been considered a goal rather than a problem. Since the early days of Christianity people’s self-worth was measured by their ability to destroy their sexual desire with their mind (Sex was not a sin if done without desire)……In fact, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes and Graham Crackers were originally marketed as a cure for carnal strivings and masturbation.

Demon Seed seems another interesting and creepy movie from a while back

it's the multiple tables that gets me (and bonus: learn French!)

No comments: