Liverpool vs Moulin Rouge vs Salt Lake City

Across the Universe, with Evan Rachel Wood and Jim Sturgess. It had potential; I probably would have gotten a lot more out of it if I understood what I'll guess are lots of references to Beatles trivia. As it stands, the music was nice, the acting was nice, the stylization was nice...but the plot and characters were just macguffins to me, just to set a frame for the song covers. Of course, if they'd developed that more and played down the songs, that couldn't be had, though, b/c then it wouldn't carry as much Beatles-born weight. But as it stands....that's somebody else's weight, and the movie itself doesn't stand as well on its own, though, and left me with my mind wandering. Not bad, mind, just okay.

SLC Punk!, with Matthew Lillard and Michael Goorjian. Clever! Unexpected ending, though. Actually, unexpected, all the way through, in form (breaking the fourth wall, narration, etc) and in simple subject matter. I expected it to go for more shock value than anything, but it continually poked at the audience to think - how punk, in a sense. I also expected more poking at Mormons given the Salt Lake City setting, but they shied away from that all the way through. Hm. I suppose, in a very oblique sense, it's kind of a more upbeat, less traumatic version of Trainspotting? Mm. I'll have to think about that more before saying Yeah to it.

Sanctuary, a new possible show on SciFi, looks to be interesting...vamps and werewolves and pretty women, oh my...

Great short article about aikido

Interview about NVC, cuts to the quick of some aspects of it, though it's dependent on one paradigm of conversational style, I think, to confer with a book I'm reading on conversational linguistics

1 comment:

Connie said...

I loved Across the Universe, but I had to look at it as a long music video. Plot wise, there was just enough to string the songs together.