I want to try climbing a giant sheet now

The Gymnast, with Dreya Weber and Addie Yungmee. A lot better than I expected; well, to be honest, I was really just kind of going for a stuck-at-home-watching-movies-so-might-as-well-get-B grade-sexy. And lo and behold, it turns out to have twenty some awards from various sources, very little of anything actually too sexual, but even better, interesting characters in an interesting situation. And very graceful and lovely scenery, what with the trapeze act. Interesting to see relationship interactions played out almost verbatim from some things I've read lately, and that set within an interesting setting - I almost wish I had more of the characters' daily life to flesh it out even more, but I suppose it wouldn't really fit in a movie format, heh. I'm still torn on the ending, though. I appreciate the open ending of it, after all, one of my favorite authors is Frank Herbert, the kind of open endings...but in a romance, I wanted a romantic ending, dang it!

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, by Alison Bechdel. Wow. This is going to take a couple more readings for me to really get the full weight of it. Written over the course of seven years by Bechdel, the author and artist of the great Dykes to Watch Out For, Fun Home is a thought provoking and depthful look at her relationship with her father, and that woven with the evolution of her identity in terms of sexuality, gender, and adulthood. The art is doubly interesting in that much of it was actually done from photo references, and yet retains Bechdel's clean and unique style. Between reading this, watching The Gymnast, and watching Secretary, I had a lot of similar themes to think about this weekend. Fun times!

From Ms Xuemei, badgers! Now we just need snakes and mushrooms.

Jim Loy seems to be something of a polymath - lots of short, interesting articles

I love ants, always so interesting

No comments: