Two random things...
   Besides the King Arthur stuff, I think I also figured some reasons why the vampires in Buffy were always kind of disappointing. I think they were just too human, if they were main characters, and if not main characters were just plain dippy. If they were thirsty for blood, I wanted to see them get to the point of starving and frenzying for it. If their bodies were taken over by demons and their souls discarded, I wanted the new personality to be more prominent. I mean, they were all right as the lowest baddie in the Buffy hierarchy I suppose, but I guess I was kind of spoiled by the World of Darkness vamps.

   In Sabino Canyon there's a pool that seems stagnant at first glance, but really has algae only lining the bottom. Also in it are a plethora of waterbugs, which are really cool to watch if you get on your belly right by the pool. There's the odd barrier of water tension and the bugs skating just on either side of it, and the colored ones with little flippers that paddle up to the surface for their air, and swarms of mirror-skinned ones that click as they run into each other in panic, and tadpoles coursing through the algae like deep sea monsters, and a worm with legs like cilia that was just plain alien. About three-quarters of the way up to Seven Falls, between some big boulders.

No comments: