ReMembering Cuba - edited by Andrea Herrera pretty much embodies the word "spectrum" in my opinion. It's a collection of 'testimonials,' essays, and art from Cuban exiles of myriad stripes and 'American-Born Cubans' that shows a huge range of views and aspects and thoughts about cultural issues, exile, politics, family, and I could obviously go on. I'd definitely be interested in a similar collection from Mexican-Americans, or any other ethnicity for that matter; another interesting one in my mind would be the Arabs of various nationalities in Tucson, for example. My mother's experience as a Palestinian is readily apparently different, for example, from the various Syrians, Lebanese, Assyrians, Irani (well, I guess they're Middle Eastern), and Iraqis we've met.

Kisses - by Steve Orlen is a really easy-to-read collection of poetry. Family, personal history, and being a Jew are some of the main aspects; also, it didn't really click till I got to the bio at the end, Orlen is on the faculty at UA.

Ong Bak - besides this looking to be crazyawesome in and of itself, I think it's also interesting that among the Muay Thai techniques even visible in the trailer (and some Krabi Krabong? not sure), there are really traditional techniques that are hard to find even in texts nowadays. They were the moves made illegal in the ring because of the potential for massive injury - kind of like how Japanese jujitsu competitions were done away with altogether in favor of the safer judo, I suppose, now that I think about it.

-pic from Cassini; I'll confess that it took me a little while to figure out what was going on in the photo, but it's cool; I'm still interested in what that probe going down to Titan is going to show, though.... (via Kevin)

-Paper Airplane Designs - haven't really tried any except the Blimp, which was cute, and the Swallow, which I just realized what I should have changed to make it fly better, but there's still many more to fill up procrastination time

No comments: