"We read…a poem to make contact not so much with some objective truth but with a particular mind trying to know what is true for it, a contact more immediate than the kind we are likely to get in fiction and drama." - Carl Dennis
      This is definitely a large reason in why I prefer writing poetry over writing fiction. A teacher once gave me a quick explanation of the difference between fiction and poetry being that a fiction writer wants to know "why," while a poetry writer concentrates more on "how." While I sometimes enjoy exploring the motives of characters, I much prefer to read what someone else has written in that regard. Poetry, whether I'm writing or reading it, appeals more directly to me, especially in how Dennis puts it as trying to express the feeling of "a particular mind trying to know what is true for it."

"Now it appears to me that almost any man may spin from his own inwards his own airy Citadel - the points of leaves and twigs on which the spider begins her work are few and she fills the air with a beautiful circuiting." - John Keats

-Sabaki Challenge - Ahh, bareknuckle karate. The videos available for download are pretty hardcore; these kind of karate rules are the kind I've always supported, as opposed to the focus-on-clean-technique one point at a time rules present in almost every other tournament. Then again, there's always MMA, but that's an entirely different story I suppose. Tangentially, the local teacher for one of the styles connected to this tournament comes to the Diner, apparently they've got some Enshin karate and Japanese sword classes at one of the local YMCAs.

-The Skinhead Hamlet - "HAMLET: Fuck off to a nunnery! "

-the XM8 - is totally cool

No comments: