"To say I in English is a normal, nearly imperceptible form of self-expression, a convention of thought and syntax; but in Spanish, the iteration of yo quickly turns into an exercise in narcissism." - There's a lot more to this passage, but I thought it was interesting as an example of inherent differences in languages. It seemed kind of indicative of the "thought doesn't determine language, language determines thought" idea.

      In the same class where I read that passage, it was interesting that almost everyone in the class were immigrants or had parents who were immigrants or some other very close connection in that regard. I had no idea that it would be the very few people who didn't have stories to share rather than the converse; even the cute Natalie Portman-lookalike was half-Lebanese (and that proves so far that half-Arabs are consistently cute...haven't met an unattractive one yet...).

-I now also feel more justified in liking J Lo

No comments: