The Incredibles was some great fun. As much as I've always been a proponent of leathers over spandex in superhero-style, I think I finally get the appeal of the other side now. Fantastic action and feats are like crack to me, and this movie was chock full of them; which isn't to say that it didn't have several registers of dialogue and characters operating at the same time, as well. It just wouldn't have been the quality it was otherwise, in my opinion.
      Tangentially, I suppose I need to qualify my enjoyment of the implausible doings to avoid being called out for past rants. Ironically, for me they're valid when they're within reason. xXx made me inordinately angry, for example. Besides its other poor qualities, the action based on what was supposedly just an extreme sports star suddenly doing superhuman things, not to mention his ease of transition into his new killing role in life just made for a boring character. I mean, near the beginning his motorcycle spontaneously pops up to the level of a guard tower and I'm dropping that before I get started.
      Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Hero, on the other hand, pulled off the flying and whatnot for me. While the kung fu of the characters can in no way account for some of what they pull off, the films' roots in romanticized stories and as a reference to any story of back-in-the-day kung fu masters negates that.
-------
      In the latest National Geographic, there is an article on the Okavango Delta. Not much to say, except that this delta doesn't end in a body of water...it just trails off into the middle of a desert. I dunno, that just seems rich with meaning; there's more in the article in that regard, on the nature of water within the ecosystem and the integral reliance on flora and fauna for the nature of the delta. Also, cultural detail, like a local poem: "I am the river. My surface gives you life. Below is death."

+ unrelated, trivia-laced tattoo article

No comments: