So Xuemei explained to me that muscle knots come in two types: the small, hard ones you feel when massaging someone are from lactic acid, whereas other knots are from muscle fibers tangling. For some reason this messes with me (I think that I didn't realize muscle cells could almost literally knot up), but I suppose it might be useful information when it comes to yoga'ing out painful points. Though I could also really go for a shoulder rub now.

-mmm vocab (that I've run into in the course of today's thesis research)
   nepenthe - A drug used by the ancients to give relief from pain andsorrow; supposed by some to have been opium or hasheesh; hence, anything soothing and comforting
   aporetic - inclined to doubt, or to raise objections
   pharmakon - can mean both remedy and poison
   sinthome - uh-huh and riiight

-and quotes
   "Unlike Virginia Woolf's precarious somersaults out of the real..."
and also
   "...how I thrust my spear deep into the titanic hairy flank while Oob, impaled on one huge sweeping tusk, writhed screaming, and blood spurted everywhere in crimson torrents, and Boob was crushed to jelly when the mammoth fell on him as I shot my unerring arrow straight through eye to brain"
   vs
   "...how i wrested a wild-oat seed from its husk, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then I scratched my gnat bites, and Ool said something funny, and we went to the creek and got a drink and watched newts for a while, and then I found another patch of oats"

No comments: