One phrase my dad sometimes uses is: "There are no stupid people; people just do stupid things." The most common instance that I hear this is when I describe some of the patients I end up with at work. Now, I've been chipping away at this one, because honestly it really does seem to me that some people really are just stupid. But, especially since my dad is the one saying it, I still feel like there's some wisdom I just haven't understood yet in it. One part of me is thinking that it's tip-of-the-mental-tongue thing in the "there are no stupid people" part, and that I just need a better understanding of myself or people to get it. The other part of me is thinking that the import of the phrase is not directed outwards; that is, to assume that someone is stupid would probably lead to acting in a certain way towards them. But to accept that they are who they are, and that for whatever reason they might be doing a stupid thing, at least opens up the possiblity of acting more postively towards them.
      In a slightly similar vein, something clicked in the middle of aikido today. The literary theory professor said at one point that the reason the critics use such esoteric/odd/stilted/figurative language is because oftentimes what they're trying to describe can't really be described for all intents and purposes; it's just sometimes outside of language. So, in effect, the best they can do is point to it with whatever kind of language they have. In the same token, my martial arts teacher (and me on occasion for my unconscious imitation of him when I teach) have been nudged for using an excess of analogies or figurative language to attempt to explain things. It seems to me that there are some things in martial arts that can't really be expressed by using basic, precise language, but that can only be pointed to in a similar way. That, or I just have trouble communicating.

-crazy burpee variation that seems obvious now that I think about it: do it under a pull up bar: starting from a squat, jump up, grab the bar and do a pullup, drop down into a squat and shoot your feet back, do a pushup, and shoot feet back to the start; wash, rinse, and repeat.

-some conditioning articles - haven't gone through all of them, but so far some are interesting, a few are dippy, and some I just plain disagree with

-like Kevin said, it's not even really a caricature

-fun, and relatively assertive...sort of. okay practical.

No comments: