Witness - photography by James Nachtwey

      I haven't thought of what I learned growing up Catholic in a long while now, but I think something just finally clicked. I never really understood what the teachers meant when they mentioned fearing God; I thought that that ran counter to the more benevolent qualities that were emphasized, so the best I could do to reconcile the contradiction was to read 'fear' as 'reverence' and change it to a sort of respect. But for whatever reason today I remembered being berated in literary theory for not remembering that according to some psychoanalysis for every emotion one has, the opposite also exists in the subconscious (ie, morbid fascination, love/hate relationships, &c). So now I'm pondering, was the suggestion to fear God a recognition of that in some way? But then, what does that mean?

Buddy Rich vs Animal - I like how the muppet blurs

Keep the Ball Alive - I once went to a rugby game and saw a man limp to the sideline with a bleeding bite mark on his calf

No comments: