So there I was, standing in the rain, kind of languidly hitting one of the posts of the pullup bar at my parents house, talking with my dad who was adjusting the gutter to fill his barrels of rainwater for the bonsai. Then it hit me (no pun intended): that's why one's hand is turned palm up for an uppercut. I think, anyway. That is, I was tapping the post with vertical and regular (3/4 turn for Shuri Karate) punches, and I noted that the regular punches felt like they could extend a little bit through the post further than the vertical punches. So I was all, "Hmm." Then I turned my hand all the way palm up, and my punch didn't even reach the post.
      So, then I started thinking, and as far as I can figure, it seems to me that since an uppercut is shortened as such, one can get more power out of it within a closer range; if a regular or vertical punch was tried inside trapping range, it would be too hard to generate any impact to be useful. But the uppercut in being foreshortened is perfect for the same, and also because it can adjust to go straight up, as the other two longer ranged punches cannot. Interestingly, I also noted that palm-heels have a more extended range as well, but at the same time can also be adjust for straight up angles. And this is all discounting hooks, as I was bracketing off circular strikes. And the lightning waspretty awesome at that point in time, beyond any of that. Lots of pretty lightning and thunder.

Visiting Patients, with Dictionary in Hand - I've only had occasion to witness this particular kind of occurrence a few times, but I've certainly seen a lot of trouble caused by (both) horribly tactless doctors stuck on stereotypes and patients/families who don't know how to listen

I want one - I especially like how it can be dedicated to different to scripts for different languages. And gaming stuff, that's fun too.

No comments: