I had a whole bunch of notes from watching Ultimate Fighter the other night for its season finale, but don't feel like getting them, so I'll just touch on a couple of random thoughts. One, that show is a great way to see some solid fights; yeah, some of them were boring brawling, but one might run into that spending money on pay-per-view Pride Fighting, too. On the other hand, some of them were both technical, with the fighters having distinct styles and strategies, and at the same time wars. And then to see the passion and effort these guys put into it; I guess I'll just say (quite facetiously) that for a bit I didn't feel so messed up for crying lately after seeing seasoned cage fighters cry.
      At the local dojo, I had the pleasure of seeing a black belt from waaay back, and meeting some nice new people. Apparently, the direction our school is headed in is not so much teaching to a particular style, though a core of the general Ko Sho styles will still be there of course, but with everybody all in all, let's see.....Tomiki aikido, mixed with Yoshinkai aikido from the Ukraine, potentially some capoeira from Sweden, ninjitsu from that big camp I forget the name in Thailand mixed with some kenpo and BJJ, Daito-ryu aiki-jujitsu from Japan/Hawai'i, Shuri karate mixed with some wing chun, a couple taekwondo variants, traditional jujitsu if I can get back into it, Okinawan weapons...is eclectic the right word? I think so, I don't quite remember the definition. But yeah, basically the plan of the moment is to create a space where anyone can come in and train and learn and develop themselves, having the choice of picking a particular system, but also being able to come in and work out with all sorts of different aspects of martial arts, including just plain working out of course with weights and cardio, and even outside things like cycling. So...we'll see how it goes, I guess.

No comments: