This might be blasphemy to some ears, but I'll rationalize it by stating in advance that it's a really, really oblique parallel. That is, between Top Gun and Harry Potter. A large part of the appeal of both, I think, though I'm sure this is patently obvious so if you're reading this going yes yes I know, sorry, is the identification their audiences can make with students in a school, but what makes these doubly appealing is that the schools in question are very unusual for a regular person. So, it's similar to something that everyone has gone (or is going) through, and yet in one way or another more fantastic and exciting - schools that the characters actually want to attend, as opposed to the reality of people often being frustrated with their mundane education. I just think it's kind of funny to find any connection between those two narratives, I suppose.

No comments: