So, I’m all insured and whatnot now, on account of ninety days employed and all that. I suppose I should feel more secure in some way, but mostly I’m just a bit annoyed at a further cut out of my paycheck, and melancholy because of certain parts on the forms I had to fill. I guess the standard minimum life, health, and vision insurance are fine, and are standard accoutrements of American life. I’m sitting here looking at this other optional insurance, however, and this one seems a bit more disturbing to me on some level.

Basically, there’s the choice of adding this option on top of the previously mentioned ones, and then also disability insurance and accident and sickness ‘indemnity plans.’ If you get sick, or injured, or basically anything at all happens, they pay you varying sums of money directly, which pretty much covers the co-pays of the other insurance, so in effect you end up making a profit of sorts (this is how it was explained to me, at least).

Kind of facetiously, of course I thought of Double Indemnity (on account of not hearing the word ‘indemnity’ very often), and making lots and lots of money and vampy noir women and immorality. But that’s neither here nor there. The other thought I had was that this seemed an odd sort of gambling, especially considering some of the sums of money proffered. I’ll bet you this chunk out of my week’s pay that I’ll get at least 200 square inches of third degree burns, and if I win, you owe me...oh, several tens of thousands of dollars. What happens if I only get 199 square inches of burns, though? I get how much if I'm in a coma for at least seven days? So if I wake up early, I should just keep pretending to be asleep? I mean, it’s not all like that, but I can’t help but look askance at it as a somewhat morbid form of betting.

No comments: