Another bit from 'Threnody's Song.' I suppose I should explain a tiny bit, I think I've got a few different kinds of...sections that have developed in the course of daily writing; there are the 'scenes' I've already posted; notes on meditation texts I'm working through or advice given to me set in lyrical form; sections where I try to work out mental/emotional problems, in the same lyrical form; and then this kind, which I put in every couple of days or so. I hesitate to explain the goddess/Threnody/Karuna thing here, half because I suspect 9 out of 10 people would dismiss the thought as 'weird' before my first sentence was finished, and half because it's too personal, but if you're curious feel free to ask, I'll write or call you.

My goddess is dual on this bitter winter morn.
Threnody, striding forward in boots and leathers of jet,
her wings of smoke and ember'ed ash rippling behind,
and yet with a heart that is burning bright and light.
Karuna, graceful and softer in pale terra cotta and white,
warm and cool and calm, lost in her thoughts,
but with resolve apparent - a sword of heart's blood
and compassion's resonant song on her lips.

As Threnody stands watch, Karuna helps me up from where I kneel,
recovering from the blow to my heart's throat, delivered by the taker's dream.

We stand, back to back to back, in a Sardaukar's triangle.
We stand at the edge of an abyss, my maya.
I know I am afraid of what lurks in that darkness of imagination and denied reality.
I acknowledge that.
I stand on the edge, armed only with poem and will.
Karuna's chin resting over my shoulder, Threnody's hand in mine.
We are afraid. But fear and sadness have their time, and pass.
And we stand. Together.

*'Sardaukar's triangle' is a reference to a really specific scene in a novel, and has a whole wealth of connotations stemming from that phrase, which I probably shouldn't bore people with, and maya is...Sanskrit, I think, a concept kind of like the subconscious, but also quite distinct from that.

No comments: