The Girl Next Door, with Elisha Cuthbert and Emile Hirsch. The DVD was pressed into my hands with the promise of eye-candy galore, so in my expectation to see another mindless comedy with random flashes of skin I was disappointed. I was, on the other hand, quite pleasantly surprised by what depth the story did have, and in its sweetness. To swing right back the other way, however, I couldn’t help but feel quite embittered by the story’s ‘if you give everything you can for your true love, it’ll all turn out ok’ message, though I suppose that’s just my perception-of-the-moment and is no mark on the movie; same goes for the uncannily-the-same-as personal sweet little romantic moments, though I suppose that’s a sign I should just stay away from romantic comedies for a while. As a completely obscure reference that ironically ties back into that last sentence a bit, this is the second movie I’ve seen that had used the Sneakerpimps on its soundtrack – 10 points.

Random quote of the day: “No one in this world views it the same...I believe that is what amazes me the most about it. Each person has his or her own vision of the world, and whatever lies outside that worldview becomes invisible. The rich ignore the poor. The happy can’t see those who are hurting.”

No comments: